Ministerial Education Forums
St. Thomas UCC, 6490 Linglestown Road,
Harrisburg, PA 17112
Ministerial Education Forums are a series of workshops designed to impact your ministry in the moment! Attendance at all three of these afternoon sessions will earn 1 Continuing Education Unit (CEU) or 10 contact hours in Healthy Ministry in the 21st Century. Participants will enjoy a brief opening session with a member of the PCC Architects of Excellence Team and then have 3-40 minute workshops. There will be a scheduled time for intentional fellowship with colleagues. (Please register via specific link or with Janice Mountain (firstname.lastname@example.org) by the Monday prior to each event so that handouts and snacks can be prepared.)
- 1:00-1:10 – Gathering Devotion
- 1:10-1:25 – Architect of Excellence
- 1:30-2:10 – First Workshop
- 2:15-2:55 – Second Workshop
- 2:55-3:15 – Fellowship and Refreshment
- 3:20-4:00 – Third Workshop
- Samaritan Center – Systemic Issues Affecting Conflict: Using the energy of conflict for transformation
- How we gather (Rev. Dr. Steve Ohnsman)
- Changing Landscape of Theological Education (Rev. Dr. David Mellot)
- Understanding the Urgency of your Church’s Threshold (Rev. Dr. Monica Dawkins-Smith)
Lay Boundary Awareness
Healthy Boundaries, Healthy Churches is designed for Lay Leaders (and their pastor). Here we explore some case studies, consensus building, communication, covenant, pastoral expectations, and boundary violations. $15 for individuals, $12 for church groups of 3 or more. Pastors are free with paying church member. Cost includes lunch.
Retired Boundary Awareness
- April 24: 9:30-12 at Trinity UCC in Palmyra
- September 26: 9:30-12 at St. Paul’s UCC in Mechanicsburg
Healthy Practices in the Third-Third is for retired and near retirement clergy. We will explore topics around vocation and identity as well as look at some of the logistics of leaving well and in some cases becoming a member instead of the pastor. With much of the expertise already in the room, we anticipate lively discussion of life in real-world retirement and how we navigate the blessings and challenges of this time in our lives. Cost is $10
Basic Boundary Awareness
Establishing Boundary Basics is the foundational discussion on which all other boundary awareness trainings are based. We will engage discussion on power, vulnerability, dating, friendships, dual relationships, gifts, the pulpit, transference, touch, intimacy, self-care and red flags; all based on the work of the FaithTrust Institute and Rev. Dr. Marie Fortune. Cost is $40 and includes lunch.
Advanced Boundary Awareness
- June 8: 9-1 Engaging Scripture as LifeForce and Financing Life and Ministry (4hr) at Susquehanna University
This is two advanced sessions combined on a single day. Here we dive deep into Scriptural stories of call as well as our own and then turn our attention to personal and church finances. We will discuss how our “Yes” to God invites “No” to other inquiries. Cost is $30 and includes lunch at SU following.
This session will look at relational skills, self-awareness and differentiation as well as engagement with Safe Conduct Workbench resources and how these boundaries can enrich and inform ministry. Cost is $10.
Child Abuse History Clearances:
The state of Pennsylvania requires that volunteers and employees undergo background checks. Here are the three background checks they require:
- Department of Human Services Child Abuse History Clearance
- Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Records Check
- Federal Criminal History Record Information (CHRI)