Morsels of Excellence
This is our first VLOG series and we hope it will be meaningful for you! These Morsels are intended to enhance and inform ministry in your local church. Each month (by the 15th), we will post a short video and discussion questions for your leadership team to engage each month.
We urge you to take the time to view these videos as a group. All are 5 minutes or less and are designed to begin a conversation and a learning journey to enhance your ministry.
After viewing the videos, please spend 5 minutes or so with one or two of the discussion questions that follow. Engage the questions for growth. Each video will include a scripture passage, read it and read it again. Ask questions. Grow spiritually.
Your ministry will be enhanced.
There is a feedback form included with the discussion questions each month and we would love to hear from you! How did these morsels feed your soul and nourish your ministry?
Discussion questions: January
Dr. Greg Carey, Pastoring Everyone in Divisive Times
Pundits and pastors alike report the polarization that characterizes American society in our present moment. Religious leaders find it all but impossible to speak to public issues without being identified as “partisan” or “political.” This workshop helps clergy express and diagnose their experiences, share common wisdom, and build frameworks for leading with integrity.
Rev. Jes Kast and Rev. Megan Malick, Back at the Table
A Taste of Heaven with Rev. Jes Kast – Come and experience A Taste of Heaven as we practice thy kin-dom come on earth as it is in heaven together. Many of us desire to lead our churches into greater outreach to our communities for justice and charity. In this workshop you will experience the revitalization and re-branding of outreach that West End Collegiate Church accomplished as we envisioned a new way of doing outreach for our neighborhood. Following the Benedictine Motto “All are to be welcomed as Christ” we practiced that literally among our volunteers and among the guests who found sanctuary in our “church within a church.” In our time together we will partake in the worship so you can experience our methodology. After worship we will look at some of the opportunities that the church has as we imagine new models of outreach.
Is Change Really a Dirty Word? with Rev. Megan Malick
Have you heard folks in your community clamoring for changes only to find that when you go to make those changes the very people asking for the change resist it? In this workshop you will learn the stages of change as well as ways to assess how folks relate to change. Finally, you will learn specific questions to assist you in both assess readiness for change and questions to motivate folks to consider taking one small step forward.
Rev. Dr. Carolyne M. Call– Emotional Intelligence
What is the relationship between emotional intelligence and effective leadership? What might we learn about leadership from new research on emotional life? This workshop will provide insights into the dynamic relationship between our inner emotional life and how we lead and interact with others in the external world. Learn about how anxiety plays a role in our leadership and what it means to be emotionally “healthy”. Case studies and small-group discussion will be included.
All forums are for clergy. They will be held at
St. Thomas UCC – 6490 Linglestown Road – Harrisburg, PA 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Light refreshments will be served.
Click on title or name to rsvp or register
- February 20: 9am A Just Ministry @ York Ministerium (Mt. Zion, York) RSVP to Ron
- March 7: 1pm MEF Pastoring all in Divisive Times with Dr. Greg Carey (St. Thomas, Harrisburg)
- March 11: 9am A Just Ministry @ Mercersburg Ministerium (First Carlisle) RSVP to Bruce
- March 19: 9am A Just Ministry @ Central Ministerium (St. John’s, Lewisburg) RSVP to Amelia
- March 19: 6:30pm Bi-Vocational Ministry and Overlapping Relationships (St. John’s, Lewisburg) RSVP to Amelia
- May 1: 10am-1pm Living the Call in Retirement: Retired Boundary Training with Lunch Fellowship (First UCC, Middleburg) $12
- May 9: 1pm MEF Emotional Intelligence with Rev. Dr. Carrie Call (St. Thomas, Harrisburg)
- May 13: 9am A Just Ministry @ Northern Ministerium (St. Peter’s, Reberhersburg) RSVP to Julie
- June 7: 10am You, Your Ministry and The Internet @ Annual Meeting (first workshop slot Susquehanna University)
- September 10: 9am You, Your Ministry and The Internet @ Lancaster Ministerium RSVP to John
- September 19: 10am-1pm Living the Call in Retirement: Retired Boundary Training with Lunch Fellowship (Hafer Center at LTS) $12
- Nov 20: 6:30pm You, Your Ministry and the Internet @ Penn Central Conference Board Room $10
**All clergy must accumulate 6 distinct hours every 3 years!**
Child Abuse History Clearances:
The state of Pennsylvania requires that volunteers and employees undergo background checks. Here are the three background checks they require:
- Department of Human Services Child Abuse History Clearance
- Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Records Check
- Federal Criminal History Record Information (CHRI)